Monday, November 4, 2019

The First Time I Taught! by Zainab Abu Mrad

"The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow". After teaching three full sessions, I realized how tough this profession is. At first, I thought it is an easy profession, and everything I need is just a well-organized lesson plan. When I stood in front of the students to explain a lesson, I completely changed my mind!
In general, my teachings were good, and I did a good job😅. As a new teacher, my sessions were made up of effective and ineffective practices. In the first session, I introduced myself to the students, so they can interact with me. The students were excited because I am new. My lesson plan was well organized, but it didn't fit the offered time! I used one point of reference which was the board; that reference grabbed students' attention. Also, I asked the students to read all together; reading aloud was a good practice because the students learned from each other (pronunciation), and they felt comfortable (their mistakes weren't noticed).
A day before, I gave the students a dictation (Spelling). In the classroom, I allowed them to copy the paragraph; I gave them chance to review the spelling of the words. I used a clear voice, and I walked between the tables to check if the students were on track. That practice supported the students I was teaching, made them feel comfortable, and gave them a good chance to hear the words clearly.
My second teaching session was good; most of the practices were good. I worked on the students to make them independent, engaged, and active learners. I distributed an activity and used some practice activities that helped the students recognize the sequence of the events in a story.
My last teaching session was the best one! I was moving in the class easily, and I explained the lesson in a good way. Most of the practices were also effective.
In the first two sessions, I was somehow nervous, but my pleasure in teaching made me strong enough to overcome the obstacles and succeed in teaching domain. I'm really proud of myself. Every year I improve my language skills and my teaching skills too. Always there is something new to be learned as a teacher!
In short, I shared my experience and how some effective practices motivated me to work and give more!

3 comments:

  1. A teacher who can reflect on her performance and criticize it is a good teacher who will continue to progress and improves her performance. That is exactly what you are doing Miss Zaynab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. المعلم المبدع هو الذي يسعى لتطوير ذاته باستمرار

    ReplyDelete
  3. التحدي الحقيقي هو أن يسعى الإنسان لتخطي جميع المصاعب والعوائق في سبيل أن يكون بين الأفضل

    ReplyDelete

My 5 Senses

Grade 1 students share their books about the 5 senses!